An Introduction to the World of Waldorf
If you have a child between 12 months and 4 years of age and are looking for a nurturing and home-like environment to play and connect with other families for a couple of hours each week, please consider joining one of our Parent-Child groups!
Children in our program enjoy playthings from the natural world, as well as simply made toys that allow and encourage the use of fantasy. The Parent-Child group serves as an extended family as children gradually become ready to interact more with their peers outside of the home. The class rhythm includes nursery rhymes, finger plays, simple songs, and the opportunity to imitate adults engaged in meaningful activity.
For parents, the program offers a rare peek into their own child's interactions in a group setting and provides a model of a rhythmic, structured morning, along with songs and finger plays that can be incorporated into home life. Parents discover examples of simple toys that they can make for their children, as well as stories and activities appropriate to the age and the season. The Parent-Child program is a valuable introduction to the Waldorf philosophy with many opportunities for adult education through the school.
Teacher & Schedule
Ms. Jodi Abelow leads our Parent-Child classes. Children attend with their parent or caregiver once a week. We offer two 17-week sessions per year:
- Fall Session (generally September through January)
- Spring Session (January 29 through June 13, 2018) sign up coming soon
*No classes any days the whole school is closed for holidays. Please refer to the school calendar for details.
- Annual non-refundable Registration Fee for all Parent-Child classes: $40
- Non-refundable deposit due upon registration: $200
- Total due immediately upon new registration: $240
The remainder of the payment should be paid in full two weeks before classes begin.
*Once the session begins the full cost of the class is non-refundable.
The fee structure for our Parent-Child classes is as follows:
- Gosling: $585 (17 classes)
- Hummingbird: $730 (17 classes)
- Chickadee: $1030 (17 classes)
Gosling: Ages 12–17 Months
Gosling class is open to parents with children from 12-17 months old. Once they become aware of their surroundings, young children this age enjoy being around other children, even though they don't yet play together. The Gosling class is an introduction to a rhythmic morning with exploration and play, lap games and songs, and a healthy snack. It is also a time to share basic parenting questions, learn more about the Waldorf philosophy, and build community with other new parents.
Cost: $585 (17 classes)
Gosling is not being offered Fall 2017.
- Tuesday 11:00 am to 12:30 pm - Registration Opens November 27th
Hummingbird: Ages 18 Months – 3 Years
At this age, the children begin to interact, and circle time allows for more independent movement as the children imitate the adults. A simple story is part of the morning, as well. The adults may work on craft projects, such as making simple toys for the children.
Cost: $730 (17 classes)
For our Fall 2017 session, Hummingbird is offered at two times:
- Mondays 8:45 am to 10:45 am - Please contact our Enrollment Director to register.
- Tuesdays 8:45 am to 10:45 am - Please contact our Enrollment Director to register.
- Tuesday 8:45 am to 10:45 am - Registration Opens November 27th
Chickadee: Ages 2.5 – 4 Years
We now move toward the Nursery/Kindergarten experience, as circle time and story lengthen. Each Chickadee class includes a portion of time where the children are supervised by the assistant teacher, while the parents gather with the class teacher for a facilitated study and group discussion on parenting issues. Children joining Chickadee class should be between 2.5 and 4 years old, with readiness to separate from their parent for the parent-education section.
Cost: $1030 (17 classes)
Please note: Due to the length of the class and the focus on parent education, Chickadee enrollment is limited to children in the stated age range only. Younger siblings may be brought along to class only if they are "babes-in-arms".
For our Fall 2017 session, Chickadee is offered at the following times:
- Wednesdays 8:45 am to 11:45 am - Please contact our Enrollment Director to register.
- Monday 8:45 am to 11:45 am - Registration Opens November 27th
- Wednesday 8:45 am to 11:45 am - Registration Opens November 27th